cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: Is Lepido abandoned?
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:30:36 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Mikael Olenfalk escribió:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just noticed that Lepido (the Cocoon IDE for Eclipse) has been
>> archived on the Eclipse homepage. Has the project been abandoned or
>> has it just moved to another location?
> It's abandoned. In short, because no developers around.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo

I don't know if it will do any good to say this, but the abandonment of
Lepido is a great loss for webapp developers using Cocoon. Just think
how much easier debugging would be if we had a sitemap
step-through-and-trace debugger in an IDE. All those times you wondered
just *where* that parameter failed to get passed, or where the cincluded
pipeline was going wrong.

Maybe it's our collective fault for not volunteering to help on the
project. Personally, I was not aware that Lepido was in any danger of
failing, until someone mentioned off-hand that it was already dead.
Maybe it would have done better if it was continually publicized more on
this this list and on the Cocoon web site.
In any case, I think we have missed a very important opportunity. It's
not every day you have someone with the knowledge and skills of Bertrand
who is willing and able to lead this kind of project.

I think a project like Lepido would be (and Cocoon already has been) of
enough value to our organization that my boss might be willing to let me
spend some time helping with it. I'm going to ask. It would take some
time for me to get up to speed on the internals of Cocoon, but that
would be a worthwhile investment in several ways. Maybe if several of us
do this, and contact Bertrand with a definite "Yes I can and will help,"
he will reopen the project. Hope springs eternal!

Lars