cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about Lepido
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 06:48:28 GMT
Stavros Kounis wrote:
> Hi Sylvain
>
> You have contact me about lepido before initial base code donation.
> Unfortunately i was not able to find time and skills  i want to help
> this project, but i can say that two of lepido's components,
> FormEditor and SitemapEditor was stable enough and very useful.

That's the very problem of tooling projects: they are very interesting
for users, but unfortunately those users don't have the skills to
enhance the tools. This is where the distinction between tools and
frameworks makes a big difference in the way a community can be built
and the motivation and ability for people to contribute. This is what I
discovered with Lepido and explained at
http://people.apache.org/~sylvain/lepido/news.eclipse.technology.lepido/msg00132.html

> The problem with many projects is that a very optimistic vision drive
> to a big collection of features and a huge project plan [1].

Well, having "rule the world" plans doesn't mean everything should be
done upfront!

> Instead of that lepido could became a small tool that help people to
> edit forms and sitemap. How far is lepido to be released with only
> this two features?

There was a release with these two features. People were for sure happy
with them but that's not enough for a project to grow.

> Furthermore, if people want, can write more plugins and extend it
>
> Is it possible or not?

Everything is always possible. But it's a bit late to express interest
in Lepido now that it has been archived. Feel free to revive it in
another context if you feel the itch though.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net