cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stevens" <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject Dynamic configuration of input modules, and the XMLFileModule
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 17:38:29 GMT
In the Cocoon javadocs[1]  it says that input modules are passed a dynamic,
per-request configuration which will usually override the static
configuration from the cocoon.xconf.  However, neither the javadocs nor the
Input Modules Reference[2] in the docs give any indication of how you
actually do this.  Is it talking about something you can include in a
pipeline, or somehow within the {foo:bar} string of a sitemap
parameter/attribute?  Or is it simply talking about the
<map:component-configurations> section of the pipeline?  If the latter, is
it possible to include these within a pipeline matcher, and use any
available sitemap variables in the configured values?

My suspicion is the "dynamic" configuration isn't as dynamic as I need.  I
have a number of XML files (using the same DTD) and need to extract a value
from one of them to pass into a map:redirect-to (which file to use being
supplied as part of the request).  If I was using a single file, I think I
could handle it with the XMLFileModule; judging from the URLEncode & decode
input modules' docs, it's okay to nest input module attributes (e.g.
src="http://remote/page?param1={url-encode:{request-param:param1}}"), so I
reckon something along the lines of <map:redirect-to
uri="{xmlfile:/document/link[@name='{../1}'/url}"/> would work.  With
separate files, I can just use {xmlfile:/document/link/url}, but how do I
specify for each request which file this is evaluated on?

If the XMLFileModule can't be used in this way, I guess I've got two
- either write my own input module that takes an xinclude-like expression as
the attribute ({myxmlfile:{1}.xml#xpointer(/document/link/url)}) specifying
both the source file and jxpath
- or, (since the XMLFileModule user docs say the XML can be obtained from
any cocoon source) use the directory generator and c/xinclude transformer in
a separate pipeline to combine all the files and configure the input module
to use that pipeline as its "file".
Or does anyone know of a better way?

Andrew.

[1] see under "Static/dynamic configuration" in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/components/modules/input/package-summary.html
[2] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/modules-ref.html