cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Aron Shamash" <Aron.Sham...@dna.co.uk>
Subject RE: Catching a NullPointerException to display custom error page
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 10:09:09 GMT
Yes Reijn

I am using the ExceptionSelector already for catching "page not found"
and "invalid continuation" exceptions :

				<exception
class="org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException" name="not-found"/>
				<exception
class="org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.InvalidContinuationException"
name="invalid-continuation"/>

I noticed further down the errorhandling page you cite, there is mention
of null pointer excpetions :

"A NullPointerException occurs, because something went completely wrong
in the application: All handlers are not configured for such an
exception and so the root sitemaps default handler will apply to it
showing a general error page."

Does this mean it is not possible to configure handlers for this type of
exception and therefore not possible display a customer error page?

The Background
-----------------------
The reason for this query is that I am passing a query string parameter
to a page which pulls in content from an xml file.

For example www.mydomain.com/popup.html?id=11 : This displays a popup
using content stored in a file called 11.xml. If the following is typed
into the browser : www.mydomain.com/popup.html?id=foo there is no xml
content to display because the is no foo.xml file and thus a
NullPointerException is thrown.  I would like a "nice" error page to be
display in this instance.

Any ideas gratefully received.

regards

Aron