cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Abbas Mousavi <abbasmous...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Benefits of using eXist with Cocoon, when XML is versioned in Subversion?
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 15:21:34 GMT
hi

I think that what you missed is the speed of retriving information about your data collection.
think of listing the content of a title tag of many small xml files at filesystem with cocoon
xpathdirectory generator, It is a very time consuming process on file system but with exist
it is very fast. also eXist lets you to use Xquery which is the standard way of retriving
data from xml data collections.

Of course if you dont need any such data processing and only access individual files you dont
need a database like exist and can use filesystem.

Craeg Strong <cstrong@arielpartners.com> wrote: Hello:

My website content is in XML and version controlled in Subversion.
I want to use Cocoon to publish HTML and PDF, etc. for all the usual
reasons.
I see that eXist is pre-integrated with Cocoon; I could import my
documents into eXist and use that.
I can still version the source by exporting from eXist -> file system
and "svn commit"

I am trying to get a handle on what exactly will the benefits be using
eXist rather than just the file system.
Can anyone help?

My newbie guess is that it boils down to eXist providing certain things
that otherwise would have to be programmed directly in the cocoon sitemap.
For example: directory generator, lucene/full text search

So.. isn't that just moving some logic from the sitemap into eXist
configuration files?  What am I missing?

Thanks!!

--Craeg