cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Bruyn Bill" <Bru...@mcao.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: Cocoon vs webwork/struts
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:41:31 GMT
Hi, Dennis.

There are (many) others on this list that can better answer your
question, but I'll offer my $0.02 since nobody else has.  Take it for
what it's worth.

Sure, you can build simple CRUD apps using Cocoon - there are umpteen
different 'built-in' ways to interact with your database (e.g., jdbi) or
you can integrate with your persistence component of choice.  E.g., A
lot of people use Hibernate.  I just built one using Cocoon (forms and
flow), Spring, and iBatis.  I haven't seen Struts in a long time (hated
it) and I never did do any real experimentation with WebWork, but I
think the Cocoon flow + forms combination is pretty slick.

As anyone will tell you, the learning curve for Cocoon is quite steep
though.  The documentation is really not very good at all, and the
people who are qualified to fix it up seem to have other priorities for
the foreseeable future (not a criticism, just an observation.)  There
are lots of sharp people working on making it a better product, but I
get the sense that the new user is often forgotten or ignored.   (Again,
not a criticism.)  You might well be up and running a lot faster with
one of the other frameworks.

In short, Cocoon might be 'better' technology for certain use-cases, but
I'm not sure that it's worth the trouble for 'simple' CRUD apps.  Have a
look at the flow tutorial at
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/tutor.html and review the
sample apps in the forms block to see for yourself (e.g.,
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/forms/sql/do
_list_employees).

HTH,

Bill