cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jason Johnston <coc...@lojjic.net>
Subject Re: LDAP Authentication
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:50:57 GMT
Sanket Pattekar wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a user login page which has a user name and password implemeted
> using cocoon CForm.
>
> I problem is to authenticate this user's entered credentials against a
> LDAP server. As I understand there are 2 approaches we can follow
>
> 1. Use cocoons LDAP Transformer.
> 2. Use custom java-script code to do the authentication using flowscript.
>
> I do not have any knowledge about the LDAP Transformer, as to how it
> works, but going by the documentation, the LDAP Transformer just
> executes the LDAP query file. But there is lot more to do once I get
> the result from LDAP Transformer. I need to store some values in to
> the session(This I am doing using flowscript), if ldap authentication
> is successful, redirect to some page, or else show some error and
> redirect to the login page and lot more.
>
> All these can be easily done in the second approach, but this involves
> writing lot of java code for authentication.
>
> My question is WHICH IS THE BEST APPROACH TO DO LDAP AUTHENTICATION,
> using LDAP Transformer or using custom built java-script code

My personal preference would be to stay within the flow control layer,
and implement your LDAP query as a Javascript function or a Java method
that returns a boolean. I think the LDAPTransformer is probably a good
tool for getting LDAP data into a pipeline for publishing purposes, but
IMO not the right tool for your job.

If you use an existing Java LDAP library then the code you have to write
to perform the query should be minimal.

Just my 2 cents.
--Jason