cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Warrell.Harr...@westsussex.gov.uk
Subject Re: Handling SQL Transformer exceptions
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:54:35 GMT
Hi Oleg,

I don't think that you can call this a 'bug in Cocoon'! Do you really mean
a Cocoon 2.0 version or just generally version 2 of Cocoon?

It seems you are building a generic DB query tool so I suppose the
following is not appropriate but I would argue that this is not the
desired way to use the SQLTransformer since the overall Application design
should prevent any constraints ever being violated. In my view, such
Constraints are fundamental rules that are there to define the parameters
of the system and not just as a last line of defence or for the creation
of indexes. However,  to handle such Processing Exceptions in Cocoon you
should take a look at :-

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/errorhandling.html

if, of course, you are using Cocoon 2.1.

Hope this helps

Warrell

Warrell Harries | IT Services, West Sussex County Council | Location:
Northleigh House
Office: +44 (0) 1243-756837 | Email: warrell.harries@westsussex.gov.uk

Oleg Konovalov <olegkon@yahoo.com>
27/03/2006 14:26
Please respond to
users@cocoon.apache.org

cocoon list <users@cocoon.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Handling SQL Transformer exceptions

Hi,

I am trying to fix the bug in the Cocoon 2.0 application:
- it is not handling exceptions from SQLTransformer in the GUI,
need to show user an error that Insert failed.

Here is an exception we often get:
ERROR   (2006-03-24) 15:29.31:855   [sitemap.transformer.sql] (/myapp)
Thread-11/SQLTransformer$Query: Caught a SQLException
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00001: unique constraint (MBRDEV.UKC_ASSOC_COT)
violated
    at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)

Here is a simplified version of my XSL:
<xsl:template match="/">
    <page>
        <title><xsl:value-of select='$table'/><xsl:text>
modification</xsl:text></title>
        <content>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </content>
    </page>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name='doInsert'>
    <xsl:param name='row'/>
    <xsl:param name='table'/>

    <sql:execute-query>
        <sql:query>
            <xsl:text>insert into </xsl:text>
            <xsl:value-of select='$table'/>
        </sql:query>
    </sql:execute-query>

    <!-- This is the code I added to handle that exception which is
supposed to show it to the user -->
    <xsl:if test="count(//sql:error[1]) > 0">
        <xsl:call-template name='buildErrorMessage'>
            <xsl:with-param name='row' select='.'/>
            <xsl:with-param name='message'><xsl:text>ERROR: Can not insert
the row into the database (not recorded)</xsl:text></xsl:with-param>
        </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:if>

</xsl:template>

Am I doing it right and in correct place ("This is the code...") ?

For some reason it doesn't seem to work (maybe that condition is false:
"count(//sql:error[1]) > 0"  ?)

Sorry for the newbie question. Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the persons addressed. If it has come to you in error please reply to
advise us but you should not read it, copy it, show it to anyone else nor
make any other use of its content.   West Sussex County Council takes