cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Spruit <san...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject XSL transforms based on xpath expression (was: Re: Is Cocoon the right choice?)
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:02:45 GMT
Nils Kaiser wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz schrieb:
>> Nils Kaiser wrote:
>>
>> What you're asking for is a long-time no-no of Cocoon which we call
>> "dynamic pipelines". Currently there is no pipeline implementation
>> that would allow this.   That's the bad news. The good news is that
>> the ice is breaking :-) I understand that this doesn't help you very
>> much ATM, Cocoon gets massivly refactored which will make it much
>> simpler to plugin your own processor implementations. I don't know in
>> which timeframes you're thinking, but if you can wait some more
>> weeks, you should get some solid ground to start from to contribute
>> to a dynamic pipelines implementation (which maybe doesn't need to be
>> XML based ...)
>>
> Well thats very good to know! I'll follow the developments on the dev
> list. Is this cocoon 3.0 or supposed to be part of 2.2?
>
> The concrete usecase in this project is that we want to apply
> XSL-Transforms based on xpath expressions.
This usecase has been discussed before by yours truely and others.

We ended-up creating a separate pipeline to generate the XSLT,
i.e. treat a stylesheet as just another XML document that needs to
be generated. You can then insert an xpath expression into your
XSLT wherever you like. It's not ideal, but it works quite well.

HTH,
Sandor