cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Justin Hannus <jhan...@comcast.net>
Subject handling errors in <map:aggregate> parts
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:52:44 GMT
I can't seem to get an aggregate pipeline part to respect or handle
errors correctly when an
exception occurs in one of the aggregate parts. It almost seems as if
its impossible. This is
whats happening...

When an exception occurs in the a pipeline which is called as one of the
<map:aggregate> part elements, the erroring pipeline or parent pipelines
do not handle the errors correctly. In fact, the <map:handle-errors> is
completely ignored. What happens is the sitemap processing continues
even after the exception occurs and, eventually the main entry matching
pipeline's <handle-errors> is invoked. This is bad because when using a
cocoon:// request as your <map:part> src any pipelines under that
cocoon:// request will continue processing as if no error has occurred
but..... you will still see the cocoon error page as if processing
actually stopped!

I have a pipeline which aggregates several other pipelines and then
writes the generated content to disk. If there is an exception in one of
the aggregate parts I need the sitemap processing to stop and handle the
exception appropriately. Instead the generated content, which has
errored and therefore invalid, is still written to disk. If I remove the
aggregate pipeline and just use a regular generator the handle-errors is
respected correctly and processing stops before writing the content.

Am I misusing the <map:aggregate> elements? Or is this the expected
behavoir?

Thanks so much,

--
Justin Hannus
Software Engineer | Infrastructure | Lycos Inc.