cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Portal and browser back button problems
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:48:02 GMT
philguillard wrote:
> Hi Angelo,
>
> I had this trouble too. But i didn't solve it definitely.
>
> My opinion :
> - portal is not 100% ready for internet web site production because of
> this, since 99% of internet users use intensively using back and refresh
> buttons! (if you really insist on back and mostly refresh buttons i bet
> you'll find an exception quickly)
> - It seems all the concept of events cause problem since the browser
> back button is not informing portal we want event no 4 on the last page
> we had, and thinks we need the event no 4 on the actual page.
> - But this is open source, so up to us to arrange this problem, but i
> didn't feel competent for this.

It's correct that using the event id in the urls is actually one of the
worst parts of the portal which definitly needs some more work. The
version in the current development branch for 2.2 is far better in this
aspect as it only creates event ids in some rare cases by default. In
additions each page uses it's own number range for the ids. This, in
combination to expire the portal page and forcing the browser to reload
the page when using the back button should solve all these issues.
I think the expiring/reloading mechanism should be used in a portal
anyway; otherwise you'll end up with inconsistent state very soon.
Imagine a user removing a portlet and then hitting the back button.

Unfortunately, 2.2 is under going currently some heavy changes in the
build system, so you are even not able to have a look at the new version :(

Btw, the portal can and is used in several production sites without
problems :)

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/