cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Re: XCSS?
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:48:44 GMT
Thanks to Bob and Chris for their feedback.

However, my question is not how to serve up different CSS files
depending on the target
browser. What I would like to do is create those different CSS files
from a single source
(e.g. a transformer creates different CSS files from a common source
depending on what
the target browser is). It seems to me that it would be trivial if
CSS had an XML syntax: my
questions are:

1) is there a suitable XML DTD or schema for something (let's call it
XCSS) which is 1-to-1
mappable to CSS?
2) does an appropriate transformation (or serialisation) from XCSS to
CSS exist?

One answer to 1) is "yes, see JXCSS". An answer to 2) is what I am
looking for.

The pipeline should look something like the following (if you'll
excuse the meta-syntax):

match *.css
	generate XCSS from a single source
	if browser is standards- and security-challenged {
		transform the XCSS stream to suit
	}
	transform for I18N
	transform from XCSS to CSS
	serialise using TextSerializer

or perhaps the serialisation could go direct from XCSS rather like FO
or POI.

The XHTML should contain no <style> tags to preserve SoC. In my
XHTML, all I want to have is

	<link href="my.css" ...>

Steve