cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject XCSS?
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:37:11 GMT
I am setting up a website using Cocoon and want to generate XHTML and
use CSS to
handle the presentation. Like everyone else I am being bitten by the
fact that 90% of all
browsers conform to the CSS standard, but the browser that 90% of the
users use does not :-(

(I think) I have managed to banish all the browser dependencies (for
my site, at least) into
the CSS file and I have a clean SoC-like separation of content and
presentation. So what I
would now like to do is use Cocoon to generate different CSS files to
accommodate MSIE.
I would also like to handle some I18N issues I have in the CSS files.

Does anyone know of a way of writing something that could be called
"XCSS", i.e. CSS
written in an XML syntax, which can be transformed/serialised into
proper CSS?

Apart from passing remarks (including one from the maestro at

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cocoon-dev/200003.mbox/%
3C38BFDC36.B338A9B8@apache.org%3E

) I have been unable to find any references to much like this. I have
spent about some time
trawling Google, but XSL and CSS are not good search terms (they
throw up too many
results), and XCSS doesn't throw up anything conclusive, although the
results do confirm
that I am not the first person who wants to do this.

The project JXCSS does the other thing, i.e. convert CSS into XCSS,
but the documentation
says that there is no transformation available to produce CSS from XCSS:

	"Stylesheets need to be written to generate and pretty-print CSS
source code"

I will admit to being reluctant to write such a stylesheet myself
because I am already
severely sidetracked doing this website, and I need to get back to my
other tasks.

I would be grateful for any hints on where to look. And if there is a
Better Way, please
let me know.

Steve