cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Scaling Cocoon to handle a heavy load
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:23:20 GMT
Let me find the link that might be able to help you.  This is not
necessarily a Tomcat/Cocoon issue--it has to do with Java's memory
management.  You will get OutOfMemoryErrors even when you haven't
exceeded the -Xmx2048m command with sufficient load.

The problem has to do with the generational garbage collection that Java
itself has.  Basically, your memory is divided up into buckets--if any
of them fills up then you get an OutOfMemoryError thrown.  Under normal
use, there is no problem.  The JVM has plenty of time to move stale
object references from one GC bucket to the next.  In a web environment,
you can experience peaks that might instantaneously throw you over the edge.

There is a JVM setting that you can use to increase the bucket sizes for
the generational garbage collection buckets, and that's what I would
need to find the link to.