cocoon-users mailing list archives

From christian bindeballe <ottosm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML-Serializer encoding
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:24:38 GMT
Edwin Kapauni schrieb:
> The first one goes into HTTP response header and is needed by any
> browser to recognize the character encoding of the following content.
> You may run your own test by just omitting it and checking HTTP response
> header of your output.
> The second one is telling the serializer which character encoding to use
> for the output.

Hello again!

As I run cocoon inside a Tomcat 5.0.28 installed locally on my machine,
I am afraid, I feel I am missing something here. Obviously the container
encoding of my tomcat needs to be ISO-8859-1 and that cannot be changed.

[quote] Since the servlet specification requires that the ISO-8859-1
encoding is used (by default), you should never change this value unless
you have a buggy servlet container.[/quote]

So I cannot change the way Tomcat encodes characters, do I get this
right? Also, but this may be caused by a local installation, the
response headers don't list any encoding :( nor any charset. This is
what I get:

Response Headers - http://localhost:8080/copo/portal/portal

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:21:44 GMT
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

200 OK

I tried all available sitemaps along the line and entered the parameter
charset="UTF-8" to the HTML-Serializer of the Base-Sitemap, also to the
HTML-Include-Serializer, to no avail. I don't suppose this part of the
response header is not sent, I believe it isn't set. I searched for any
hints as where I could change that but apart from some API-Docs didn't
find anything (useful at all). So, if anybody has an idea how I could
make this happen, I'd be more than grateful for a hint or a solution.

Regards, christian