cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cforms storing data in Database and error handling
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:19:00 GMT
Marcel Rouwenhorst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question on what is the best way to store data with Cforms.
>
> I use Oracle stored procedures to store data in the database but the
> stored procedures can return an error with an out parameter (string)
> and the error should be presented to the user in the Cform.
>
> For example: I have a registration form with a nickname. The nickname
> has to be at least 3 characters long. This validation can be done by
> CForm. But also the nickname has to be unique. This check is done by
> the stored procedure at the moment we try to add the user with the
> stored procedure. Further i would like to minimize the amount of calls
> to the database, for performance reasons. So a separate query to check
> for uniqueness of the nickname is not what I like.
>
> So the question is where to put the stored procedure so I can put
> manual (by code) error messages to the Cform.
>
> I see 3 possible places to put this code (maybe there are more):
>
> - flowscript: I got the stored procedure call working from this point,
> but exiting the show form every time to do the stored procedure
> doesn’t seems right to me..
>
> - bindings framework: seems to me the best solution, but can I call
> the stored procedure from here and send (by code) the generated error
> messages back to the Cform?
>
> - using the event handler?
>
> Any examples or tips on the adding of error messages to the Cform
> would be great.
>
> If anybody can help me with this question that would be great.

The best solution is to add a custom validator to the nickname field. If
you don't want to write a Java class, that custom validator can be
written as a JavaScript snippet that has access to all flowscript
top-level functions and variables.

 From a usability point of view, it would be better to trigger this
validation in a value-change listener, but that would mean a separate
query to check uniqueness, which you say you don't want.

Sylvain