cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CForms separation of data and style
Date Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:32:50 GMT
Marcel Rouwenhorst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One thing that I don’t understand about Cforms is the separation of
> data and style. The way I look at it now is that the froms template
> and forms instance is the data part and the xslt of course the style.
> But in all the examples I see that the forms template has html tag.
>
> Can anyone explain to me where I’m going wrong!

You don't have anything wrong. The form template is defined by the
"ft:*" elements surrounded by some other markup that define the page in
which the form widgets are to be presented.

Now what is this other markup? CForms doesn't care, and it's up to you
to decide. If you're not doing strong multichanneling, this markup can
be html. Of course, this html has to be structural html, and can be
further enriched with all the graphical bells and whistles by an XSL
later in the pipeline.

More simply, why reinvent a page layout language when a subset of html
can do equally well?

Sylvain