cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Refondini <patrick.refond...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Forms/Flow: Control Flow Behind form.showForm()
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:49:38 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Patrick Refondini wrote:
>
>> Thanks, for the quick answer!
>>
>> I looked at the source code available on SVN:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon/blocks/
>> in
>> forms/trunk/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript/Form.js
>>

>> Now I am going to reveal my whole Javascript incompetency:
>>
>> The showForm() function located in Form.js has the following signature:
>>
>> Form.prototype.showForm = function(uri, viewdata, ttl) { (...) }
>>
>> Is it the implementation for use case such as:
>>
>> (...)
>> // Load form definition     var form = new Form(formDefinition);
>

> This calls the Form(...) function which then acts as a constructor.
>
>> // Send form to client
>> form.showForm("some-pipeline.jx");
>> (...)
>>
>> It is not quite clear yet how Form.prototype.showForm() can be called
>> Form.prototype.showForm() and how a call to
>> form.showForm("some-pipeline.jx") is matched something like
>> form.showForm("some-pipeline.jx", null, null) ?
>

> Form.prototype.showForm attaches a function to the Form's prototype
> which is then visible in objects created with "new Form(...)". This is
> similar to declaring a method on a Java class. Also, JavaScript has no
> notion of method overloading, but accepts variable argument lists.
> Unspecified function arguments then have the value "undefined" (a JS
> keyword).
Thanks for this clarification.

>> Nevertheless I'll need to take a deeper look at this source code and
>> try to find some Javascript tutorials ;)
>

> I've you start with JavaScript, using Form.js as a tutorial is probably
> a bad idea, as it's not the simplest JS you can find and makes an
> advanced use of continuations to implement the form redisplay loop
> without actually looping.
I understand...

I try to get a deeper understanding of the showForm() continuation
"loop" to see when bindings to data are actually applied / reloaded in
particular in the fb:simple-repeater.

I have implemented a prototype "XML" editor using CForm/Binding/JX
Templates with ajax enabled. Cocoon does a wonderful job to support this!

My goal is to let a user insert a "Form Fragment" build from a template
XML file. But I haven't been able to do it yet although I see no reason,
my Cocoon understanding appart, why it should not be possible.

Patrick