cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advice/help needed for application
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:42:42 GMT
Le 14 déc. 05, à 18:59, Duncan McLean a écrit :

> We currently use Cocoon 2.0.4 running on an AIX box...

The release date of that version is  December 06 2002...three years
ago, most of the things that you need to do your current job were
simply not invented.

It's hard to give a precise answer without looking at you app and
requirements in detail (which is outside the scope of this mailing
list), but the development effort with such an old version might be
higher than moving to a newer version.

Here are some pointers as to how things are done today, to give you a
feel of what newer releases can bring.

> ...This application consists of several multi-page forms...

That's a job for Cocoon Forms (CForms), have a look at the "multipage
wizard" sample at
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/forms/.

> ...that have some tricky validation requirements. Data should be
> preserved in session until it is submitted...

This is what CForms does as well.

> The data is submitted to a business service (hosted outside Cocoon).
> It should also be able to handle and transform the resulting message
> returned from the business service.

The business service call depends on what kind of interface this uses
(HTTP/XML, SOAP or another protocol), and the transformation part is
where Cocoon pipelines will help a lot. There are less differences
between 2.0.4 and today in this area than for multi-page forms and
validations, for example.

> ...Can someone out there suggest how this can be achieved (in simple
> terms please as we are  still very much getting to grips with
> Cocoon!!!)...

About getting to grips, you could start with the Supersonic Tour at
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/, and maybe the bricks-cms example
application (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BricksCms) which shows how
to integrate your Java code with Cocoon applications without having to
learn much about Cocoon internals.

So in summary, I think most of us would push strongly to move to a
newer version of Cocoon for your needs. Staying with the old 2.0.4
means missing a lot of the newer efficient stuff, and risking being on
your own in case of problems, as I imagine very few community members
are doing complex stuff with 2.0.4 today.. So it all depends on the
reasons for not upgrading, the scope of your project, and how much you
can afford being on your own as opposed to using current releases.

If you want to know more about what happened between 2.0.4 and the
current 2.1.8, see the changes pages at

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/changes.html
   and
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html