cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Distributing "stand alone" Cocoon apps
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:58:57 GMT
Bertrand

Thanks for the insights and advice - 18MB is still quite a
lot more than I had hoped for... and I am not sure I have
the skills to hack around removing jar files, or even doing
the shrinking that ProGuard seems to offer.  I am certainly
not up to creating self-starting servlet containers!

Maybe this is a project that someone might tackle for some
other reason... and can hopefully document what they
have done so its a little easier for others like me.

Derek

>>> bdelacretaz@apache.org 11/23/05 4:41 PM >>>
Le 23 nov. 05, à 15:29, Derek Hohls a écrit :

> ...I am unsure if one can, in fact build it as a *reasonable*
> sized (under 5mb?)...

The closest "standard" thing that we have is probably the
"standalone-demo" build, with all blocks disabled except what you
actually need.

It's more than 5MB (around 18MB IIRC), but I think several jars are
included but not used, so you should be able to trim it down (or try
with 2.2 which should be able to build a smaller core). Or use
something like http://proguard.sourceforge.net/, which has been
discussed here (or on dev@, don't remember) already.

If you can reach the desired size, next step would be to create a
bootstrap Java class to start the Cocoon servlet, for that I'd look at
the embedded mode of Jetty, where you can start it from a java class
with no external configuration.

Of course, this will still require the correct JVM to be installed on
the client, or the use of java web start to select the correct one.

-Bertrand

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions