cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Are any of the developers using Groovy?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:36:43 GMT
Bertrand

Thanks for the input which I am sure is at least indicative
of where things are headed - will there be a more formal
poll amongst developers, perhaps?

In the meantime, I will go with Flowscript, and keep working the
with Petstore-like SQL code until  Sylvain releases his extension
 -- I assume all of this (inc. the AJAX add-ins) is going to be part
of 2.1.8 - which leads to the next question - is there an estimated
release date (month? year?) for that version??

Thanks
Derek

>>> bdelacretaz@apache.org 2005/10/12 10:06 AM >>>
Le 12 oct. 05, à 08:02, Derek Hohls a écrit :

> ...Just wondering if *any* of the Cocoon developers are using
> Groovy at all; or is just a "bolt on" feature in Cocoon that is not
> perceived of any use for real applications ("Real Developers use
> Java")?...

I stopped playing with Groovy in Cocoon when I realized that it was
going to be Yet Another Language, and we use many different tools in
Cocoon already (and also - I lacked the time as usual ;-)

Most of the things that I envisioned doing in Groovy can be done with
existing tools, and with the jdbi stuff that Sylvain showed us last
week at the GT (and which IIUC he's going to contribute), the direct
SQL stuff is going to be covered very nicely.

So I'd be reluctant to give more weight to Groovy, unless there's a
compelling reason to do it - better give more power to Flowscript and
not introduce yet another tool.

This is my personal opinion, I don't think there have been any
community decisions on this.

-Bertrand

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice