cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: CForms / Flow + database actions?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:59:54 GMT
" just use the same names for your form fields
and the database columns!"

Cool!   Have just been reading through Andrews' Get
Together presentation on "Simplifying Cocoon" and I
am sure this aspect fits right in with what he is calling
for... many (most?) of the pieces of the "Simple Cocoon"
are there - by 2.2 what he is suggesting should be do-able?

>>> sylvain@apache.org 2005/10/10 02:46 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:

>Yet again, the wizards add something new to the hat for us to pull out!
>
>Quick question - will this approach allow for mapping of parent->child
>relationships - where both parent and child (and maybe "grand children"?)
>are updated on the same form?!

Yup, it is possible. Add to this to the previous example:

// Get the "contact" repeater as a list of maps (one per row)
var contactsList = formMap.get("contacts");

var contactsData = jdbi.query("select * from concacts where customer_id
= :id",
{ id: cocoon.request.getParameter("id"));

// Fill the repeater with all contacts for this customer.
contactsList.addAll(contactsData);

Saving requires a bit more code, as you have to iterate over the
contactsList element and store them one by one. Also, you have to track
added and deleted rows to know whether to delete, insert or update. I'm
currently writing some helper code for this...

>PS The fragment does not show this, but I assume there is some simple
>way to map between database fields and form fields when filling out
>the form? Or is this already catered for in the CForms aspect?

Oh no, it's even simpler: just use the same names for your form fields
and the database colums!

--
Sylvain Wallez Anyware Technologies
http://people.apache.org/~sylvain http://www.anyware-tech.com