cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:34:30 GMT
Le 5 oct. 05, à 11:04, Urs Iwert a écrit :

> ...In general the system works fine, but when I'm serving large (not
> huge)
> files I run into an OutOfMemoryException. The pipeline loads some data
> from a database. Language translation. Some further transformations
> corrects or extends the xml structure. Transformation to xsl-fo.
> Serialization to pdf....

In such a pipeline, it would usually be the PDF stage which uses the
most memory. It might be interesting to run your XSL-FO content through
FOP at the command-line (outside of Cocoon) and try different VM
settings to estimate how much memory it uses.

> ...Environment Variable
> --------------------
> 	set JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx256m"
> ...Initial Memory Tomcat
> 	initial memory pool 128
> 	maximum memory pool 256..

Looks ok but depending on the size of your XSL-FO document, and the
kind of constructs used, it could still be the problem. The above test
should help you find out.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message