cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@sun3.oulu.fi>
Subject pooling + hibernate
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:02:42 GMT
Hi all,

I am looking into the option to rely on an alternative pooling system
for hibernate that the one provided by cocoon. I have employed (with
success) the implementation as outlined in
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonAndHibernateTutorial

However, this implementation results in a tight dependence upon cocoon,
such that it appears to be a lot more difficult (if not impossible) in
cocoon based web applications to persists objects from within layers
that don't know anything about cocoon. At least, I cannot entirely see
right know how exactly that would work as of yet.

Would there be any reason to assume that it is -not- a good idea to use
two different pooling systems next to each other (cocoon and e.g. C3P0).
Using a pooling mechanism other than that of cocoon seems to make it a
lot easier to get to a org.hibernate.Session instance (e.g. with
HibernateUtil, as documented on the Hibernate website, which effectively
  employs the getCurrentSession() provided by
org.hibernate.SessionFactory) virtually anywhere where access to the
persistence layer is required.
Are there be issues related to the servlet filter for disposing
Hibernate sessions (see the wiki). For the time being, I just want to
use cocoon and hibernate and not an additional framework like swing or
whatsoever.

Thanks,
Andre