cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geert Josten <Geert.Jos...@daidalos.nl>
Subject Re: Where's the best place to run code at Cocoon startup?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:36:02 GMT
>> Another solution I use is to inherit the Cocoon servlet and override
>> the standard servlet init method.
>

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I need to configure the component before use
> so it makes sense to use the Avalon framework.
>
> Actually, doing this has given me the excuse I needed to explore the
> murky world of the Avalon component manager.  I'm finding it tough going
> though because there is little documentation to help with integrating a
> component into Cocoon.  Until I started researching this I had no idea
> of the history and conflict involved with Avalon.  I had heard of
> 'Inversion of Control' (IoC) but little clue about what that meant.  Now
> I've got images in my head of syringes injecting things into classes!

You probably already found out, but there are (at least) three stages to configure/init you

component. At 'creation' time, at configure time and at run time. I may be wrong as I didn't
dive
into the depths of Avalon, but I believe what you are looking for is part of the Serviceable

interfaces. This adds a recycle and setup function..

HTH,
Geert