cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AJAX and Cocoon - Design Patterns
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:24:34 GMT
Johannes Textor wrote:

>>>But if there was a way to use CForms in a service-call-like fashion,
>>>(e.g. call form rendering service, which returns xhtml you can place in
>>>a div - call validation service - call data update service which implies
>>>validation service - and so on), as such somehow decoupling the form
>>>object form interaction flow, this would still seem nice to me ...
>>>

>>How is that different from what CForms currently provide, with the
>>only changes that it is displayed in a div rather than the full page?
>>
>>Sylvain
>>

>Currently, the only way I am aware of to validate user input against a
>CForms definition is:
>
>- Creating a forms object + calling showForm(), thus creating a
>continuation
>- Waiting for the user to input all data & submit the form
>- Errors are then detected server-side by the CForms framework, and
>error messages sent back to the client

Except when in Ajax mode (will be in 2.1.8) where the client receives
updates on the fly and a special notification when the form is
"finished", which leads to changing he current page (as would do normal
interaction), but which could also be used to implement different
behaviours.

>How could you validate a single widget against a CForms definition, or
>validate a whole form whithout creating a continuation object?
>
>Having read the slides of your GT presentation (which I found really
>impressive BTW) I guess I am thinking of something similar to what is
>achieved achieved by the "cocoon-ajax" parameter (ignore non-updated
>widgets, and so on). If I get your concept right, you are submitting the
>data to the server and getting back browser update instructions.

Exactly.

>Is there already a way to just retrieve XML error messages and handle
>them client-side ? This would enable, for example, to have an AJAX
>client programmed by somebody who doesn't need to know Cocoon & CForms
>inside-out, as long as he adheres to a well-defined interface. (He'd
>call CForms like he would call a webservice).

Interesting thoughts. Actually, this could be a special rendering of
error messages in the styling xsl that would do some javascript
callbacks in the client rather than updating the page. Is this what you
meant?

Sylvain