cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some questions on JavaFlow mechanics
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:07:09 GMT

> I've rummaged through a bunch of the source for
> JavaFlow and was wondering if I could get some
> questions answered regarding its behaviour.

Sure

> It seems like the main class I should be concerned
> with is the JavaInterpreter class.  One of the main
> questions I have is, it appears that an instance of
> the flow class (the class that extends
> AbstractContinuable) is created and stored in the
> user's session under the name "JAVA GLOBAL SCOPE".  Is
> this true?  Is a new, separate instance of the
> JavaFlow class created for every user?

What cocoon version are you talking about?
I assume the 2.1 branch?

In order to understand how things are working
forget about the global scope for now. It's
just a special case and TBH I am not a big fan
of it anyway. But to answer your question(s)...

Javaflow separates the execution context from
the instance. So it does not really need to
create a bunch of instances.

> Secondly, it looks as if a "web continuation" is
> generated on every call to a function within the flow.

That's right ...that's the idea of a continuation ;)

>  At least on every call of the "callFunction" method
> of JavaInterpreter.  Let's say I have a JavaFlow that
> is the entry point for all pages, is this
> "callFunction" method called on every page request for
> every user?  If so, it seems that every web page
> request generates a new continuation that lasts for 10
> minutes (600000).  Am I understanding this correctly?

Basically that's right. Every request creates
a new continuation. Of course it depends your
application design and on the continuation
management mechanism to keep that scaleable.

...I assume that's what you are concerned of?

cheers
--
Torsten