cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: Is Flow suitable for high throughput apps?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:52:19 GMT

Hi David,

On Oct 10, 2005, at 4:42 PM, David Legg wrote:

> I think flow is fantastic, but I wonder if users would still be
> recommended to use custom actions and business objects instead of flow
> when dealing with high-traffic, non-stateful web pages?  The idea of
> all those continuations being maintained by the server for a
> high-volume page makes me shudder.

Remember, a continuation is only created when you ask for one.
Typically, that means when you call Form'showForm() or
cocoon.sendPageAndWait() (which is called from (Form'showForm()).
(That's using flowscript as an example... not sure how it looks in
javaflow, but it'd be the same idea).

If you just invoke a flow that ends with (in flowscript)
cocoon.sendPage, no continuation is created.

If you are using continuations, then it's for a stateful interaction,
but then you'd have no more concern about scalability than you would
doing it any other server-side way using a traditional
(non-continuation-oriented) framework, e.g. using session variables...

HTH,
—ml—