cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "David Legg" <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject 'Hello World' for Cocoon component builders?
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:15:14 GMT
I'm exhausted!  I've spent the last week wading through terse web pages and
trying everything I can think of with little to show for it.

All I want to do is create a component that gets configured with parameters
from cocoon.xconf and initialized at startup.  The trouble is I seem to have
fallen into a maze of twisting passageways!  I can't find any native Cocoon
component tutorial so I'm having to pick my way through obsolete Avalon,
Pico, YAAFI stuff and it's doing my head in!

In theory I love the idea of component management.  In practice I'm finding
the entry price is too high.

So... can anyone point me to somewhere that explains in simple terms how to
create and add a Cocoon component?

I've tried creating a simple class which extends AbstractLogEnabled and
implements Initializable but I think I must be doing something wrong in the
cocoon.xconf file because try as I might the initialize() method is never
being called.

Here's an extract of my component class: -

public class MyComponent extends AbstractLogEnabled implements Initializable
{
    public MyComponent() {
        getLogger().debug("HELLO WORLD - Constructor has been called");
        throw new Exception("This is a test within constructor");
    }
    public void initialize() throws Exception {
        getLogger().debug("HELLO WORLD - initialize has been called");
        throw new Exception("This is a test within initialize");
    }
}

and here's what I've put in cocoon.xconf: -

<component class="com.test.MyComponent" logger="core.startup">
  <parameter name="my-path" value="/a/path/to/somewhere">
</component>

I never see either of the exceptions triggered or the strings appearing in
any log file.  I am assuming that for this simple class I don't need to
define a role?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
David Legg.