cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "David Legg" <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Re: Where to put a generator
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:47:28 GMT
Hi Jason,

> it would be nice if i keep my java sources
> somewhere seperate as well, as i don't want them to get entangled with
> the cocoon build process.

I've been down the same road as you.

Like you I wondered how to keep my code seperate from Cocoon's.  There are
many good reasons for attempting this but the main one is to reduce the
trauma involved every time a new release of Cocoon emerges.

My solution was to create an Ant task which merged bits of Cocoon with bits
of my project and placed the resulting hybrid in a 'testing' directory.  It
works, but isn't very optimal.  For example, if I edit 'my' sitemap I can't
get Cocoon to auto-load it until I've run the ant task to copy the edited
version into the testing directory.

Well... this was obviously a common concern because at the last Cocoon get
together they announced the 'Brick' example.  See
http://www.cocoongt.org/Slides-and-recordings.html for a PDF and download
the lecture audio by Bertrand Delacretaz called "Cocoon Bricks: best
practices by example".

As well as a lot of common sense the Brick example comes with an Ant based
build system that should address both your and my needs.

Regards,
David Legg