cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: How to *not* return a page
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:29:41 GMT
By "may or may not", I mean that the Javascript
does necessarily continue on and request a page;
in other words, I am sending a request to the
server to set a session value and the web page
itself is "not interested" in the response and does
not want to be changed in any way by the response.

I am not sure what you mean by "that doesn't  have
to happen directly within the flowscript function called by the
sitemap, in just has to eventually happen in the call chain."
If a sendPage is not the only way to end a flowscript
function, then what are other ways?  And why does the
"call chain" have to send a page back to the browser
ie. where is the option for "one way" communication
from client to server?

Thanks
Derek

>>> ml@wrinkledog.com 2005/09/27 04:54 PM >>>

On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:21 PM, Derek Hohls wrote:

> Is it possible to configure a match pattern to *not*
> return a page; i.e. I would like to make a call that
> will only set a variable (e.g. session value) - most
> probably via Javascript call in a certain page; the
> script should then continue to run & any or may
> not make another Cocoon call to display the actual
> page.

Can you clarify the "may or may not" part there? In particular, what
does "may not" look like? The client has issued a request, and there
must be a response. So if Cocoon doesn't generate that response, where
does it come from?

> I think this might be possible with flow script, but I
> have the impression flow must end with a call to
> a sendPage function?

One way or another, yes. But of course that doesn't necessarily have
to happen directly within the flowscript function called by the
sitemap, in just has to eventually happen in the call chain.

ml

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions