cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: How to *not* return a page
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:42:21 GMT
Leszek

Thanks for the detailed suggestion; I was hoping to avoid
having to do any Java coding &amp; was hoping there might
be a more "standard" way of doing this .... if not, where
is the best place to start learning how to code such a
beast (the website has this page:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/actions.html
which seems a little "rough" round the edges)?

Thanks
Derek

>>> lgawron@mobilebox.pl 2005/09/27 09:20:00 AM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Is it possible to configure a match pattern to *not*
> return a page; i.e. I would like to make a call that
> will only set a variable (e.g. session value) - most
> probably via Javascript call in a certain page; the
> script should then continue to run & any or may
> not make another Cocoon call to display the actual
> page.
>
> I think this might be possible with flow script, but I
> have the impression flow must end with a call to
> a sendPage function?
You are right. Flow mandates the used of cocoon.sendPage*.

One quick solution though: Implement an action and then:

<map:actions>
<map:action src="o.a.c.acting.MyAction" name="myaction"/>
</map:actions>

<.../>

<map:pipeline>
<map:act type="myaction"/>
<map:match .../>
<map:match .../>
</map:pipeline>

myaction will be called before every match so it works much like a
function call (no pipeline side effects). If you want your matches to
work only if action succeed do it like this:

<map:pipeline>
<map:act type="myaction">
<map:match .../>
<map:match .../>