cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: [GT2005] Cocoon GT Talks!
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:45:46 GMT
Arje Cahn wrote:

> [...]
>
>09 - Andrew Savory / Massimo Sonego
>	"What we get up to with Cocoon"
>
>	I've been talking with Massimo at Otego about a talk we were
>	considering doing together, but we're wondering if it might fit a
>	"lightning talks" session rather than a full-size session. Are there
>	any plans to do shorter talks?
>
>	We were thinking it might be fun to do some quick "what we get up to
>	with Cocoon" examples, more from a newbie/business user perspective
>	than a techie perspective, and I'm sure a few others would be able to
>	join in, too.
>
>10 - Michael Wechner
>	"What Daisy, Hippo and Lenya can learn from each other!"
>
>	Instead of doing a shootout, let's discuss and focuse on
>	where the various Cocoon based CMS can learn from each other
>	and maybe even collaborate ...
>	PROPOSED SPEAKERS:
>	Steven Noels (haven't asked him yet ;-)
>	Arje Cahn (haven't asked him yet ;-)
>	Michael Wechner (he won't be on vacation this year ;-)
>
>11 - Max Pfingsthorn
>	"CForms libraries: How Cocoon forms libraries make your life easier"
>
>	([AC] Max hasn't finished his proposal yet, since he's buried himself
>	in GSOC code, but he'd like to do a short talk on what he did, possibly
>	combined with Sylvain's AJAX talk)
>
>12 - Lars Huttar
>	"Sitemap Browser: Using Cocoon to Explore Cocoon Sitemaps"
>
>	A simple Cocoon sitemap can be clean and elegant. But
>	as pipelines aggregate calls to other pipelines, and the number of
>	pipelines increases, a sitemap can become difficult to follow. Sitemap
>	Browser (SB) addresses this problem by visualizing a sitemap as an HTML
>	document, displaying each pipeline next to the pipeline(s) it calls, and
>	by hyperlinking related pipelines to each other for easy navigation. SB
>	works to some degree on unmodified sitemaps but works better if you add
>	sb:* markup to help handle the harder cases. SB can also be a convenient
>	aid in unit testing, as a framework for linking to a sample invocation
>	of each pipeline.
>
>13 - Jack Ivers / Joh Berry / Scott Roth / Vadim Gritsenko
>	"Performance / XSLT processors running with Cocoon"
>
>	The folks here at Agile (Jack Ivers, Joh Berry, Scott Roth,
>	Vadim Gritsenko) did a fairly in-depth analysis of XSLT processors running
>	with Cocoon, looking at performance and memory consumption.  Not
>	completely scientific but we generated more information than we have been
>	able to find elsewhere.  We specifically looked at Xalan and Saxon, had
>	Gregor but never completed testing with it. Anyway, if there was strong
>	interest in this getting presented, we are willing to polish up our work
>	and also try to get a Gregor test in.
>
>14 - Nico Verwer
>	"Performance / A case with very big XML documents (100's of megs)"
>
>------------ /PROPOSALS --------------
>
>I was thinking of combining Sylvain's Ajax talk (30 mins) with Max' CForms libraries talk
(15 mins). This would then be a kind of a "what's new in CForms" presentation (that's what
Sylvain and I discussed).

>Also, I was hoping to combine talk 13 (XSLT performance) and 14 (big documents) combined
with possibly a third performance talk from Pier into a "Performance track: hints, tips and
guidelines!"

>I'm a little bit in a hurry because I want to give people the opportunity to see what
the program will be when they start signing up for the event. However, he list above should
make clear that whatever 8 options we choose, it will be worth travelling to Amsterdam anyway!
;-P

To be fair, I should say that I haven't decided for sure whether I will
be attending GT, even if talk #12 were accepted. So that may have some
weight in your decisions.
Also, my talk might work better as a shorter session, e.g. split a
session with #9.

Lars