cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Dustin N. Jenkins" <djenk...@invoqsystems.com>
Subject Best Practices Question
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:24:29 GMT
I'm using Cocoon 2.1.7, Hibernate 3.0.5 and Spring 1.2 to develop a
fairly big (5000+ classes) web application.  I have a question about
best practices when moving domain objects from Hibernate through my
Service Layer to my Presentation Layer.

In anyone's opinion, when it comes to Hibernate lazy loading, should the
values of a Domain Object be initialized by the time it reaches the
Presentation Layer?  More specifically the values that the Presentation
Layer cares about.  I get a lot of unexpected behaviour when it comes to
saving the objects after the HTTP Form has been submitted like proxies
or collections that span more than one open session even though the HTTP
Request was just created.  I'm using the OpenSessionInViewFilter to
accomodate lazy loading, but should the Presentation Layer really know
this much about the Persistence Layer?

I've been thinking a lot about using Web Implementation classes that
contain only initialized values, then pass those values into the Service
Layer to saveOrUpdate() the Persistent Object.  It's quite frustrating
developing around my tools, like Hibernate, but other than using JDBC,
I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.  Anyone with advice on a
Cocoon/Spring/Hibernate architecture?

Many thanks,
Dustin

--