cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steve Burling <...@umich.edu>
Subject RESOLVED: Strange problem upgrading Tomcat/Cocoon
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:06:09 GMT
--On August 3, 2005 12:26:03 PM -0400 I wrote:

> I'm starting the process of upgrading our Tomcat/Cocoon install,
> currently Tomcat 5.0.16 and Cocoon 2.1.3, wanting to move to Tomcat 5.5.9
> and Cocoon 2.1.7.  I've run into a problem that I can't explain, and hope
> that someone else has seen (and solved!) the problem.
>
> Our web/Tomcat/Cocoon server is a Sun ES3500, running Solaris 8 (uname
> says SunOS hostname 5.8 Generic_117350-25 sun4u sparc).  A vanilla
> install of Tomcat, with an un-modified server.xml, starts up just fine.
> If I copy the cocoon.war file that results from un-tarring the Cocoon
> 2.1.7 distribution and typing "build.sh war" into Tomcat's webapps
> directory, the Tomcat startup hangs right after logging "Scheduler
> Cocoon_$_Wed_Aug_03_11:26:06_EDT_2005 started."
>
> I've done this install on two other test machines, one a Dell box running
> Red Hat Enterprise AS 4.1, and one another Sun box running the same
> version of Solaris as the problem box.  Both installs work fine, and
> Tomcat starts up fine with Cocoon installed.  So I'm completely mystified.
>
> I've attempted to find any reference to this problem in the list archives
> and via Google, and did find one post that claims that Cocoon and Tomcat
> 5.5 simply aren't compatible, but my tests show that it works fine
> everywhere I've tried it *except* on our production server.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

To which I reply:

Back from vacation and with a fresh mind, I realized that this setup worked
on every system I tried it on *except* the server where our current Cocoon
instance is running. That made me wonder whether my test instance was hung
waiting for a resource held by the production instance.

Yep.

The culprit turned out to be the HSQLDB Server.  Once I changed the port
references from "9002" to "9003", Cocoon completed its startup, and all is
well.

My apologies for the wasted bandwidth.

--
Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb@umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779