cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: is cocoon a database?
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:11:56 GMT
THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

>On 8/13/05, Mark Lundquist <ml@wrinkledog.com> wrote:
>

>>On Aug 12, 2005, at 4:35 PM, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
>>

>>>I've looked at <http://cocoon.apache.org/> and there's no mention of
>>>Cocoon being a database, but I thought it was...
>>>

>>Nope.  The site is right :-)... it's a web application/publishing
>>framework.
>>—ml—
>>

>Why do I get the feeling that's a wise a** answer?  ;)
>
>Ok, I'll bite.  Would please expand on what web application/publishing
>framework means?

Easy, it means you can use cocoon as a web application framework or as a
publishing framework. That is why on the main cocoon page we state it is
a web development framework. ;-)

The above answer has a historical background too (here very roughly):

Once upon a time, cocoon was only a publishing framework. Then there
where added some features that allowed interact with databases and other
information sources, at that time some people also started to hack with
cocoon to build web applications. Later with the introduction of a lot
of cool features that allowed to build truly web applications, it
becomes clear that cocoon is no more a web publishing framework. So, the
definition changed since 2.1 to the current one:

"Apache Cocoon is a web development framework"

References to old cocoon definitions:

http://cocoon.apache.org/1.x/
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/