cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject esql logicsheet sometimes fails to transform elements
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:36:54 GMT
Dear Cocoon users,

We have been struggling with a significant problem lately on our Cocoon
servers. It seemed to start around the time we upgraded to JDK 1.5 /
Tomcat 5.5.9 / Cocoon 2.1.7.

The problem involves XSP pages that use esql. Often they work fine, but
sometimes the esql logicsheet just doesn't seem to run. (Both behaviors
can occur with the some XSP page.) The output of the xsp page, instead
of including data produced by the esql query, includes the <esql:*> tags
themselves. The generated Java code includes things like:

   this.contentHandler.startElement("http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2",
"query", "esql:query", xspAttr);
   xspAttr.clear();
   this.characters("\n             SELECT * ");
   this.characters("\n             FROM StatCategories");
   this.characters("\n             ORDER BY Category");
   this.characters("\n         ");
   this.contentHandler.endElement("http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2",
"query", "esql:query");

I should mention that we're also using a homegrown logicsheet (sil.xsl)
that generates the <esql:*> elements. However I'm sure that is not the
source of the problem. Many other stylesheets using sil.xsl work fine,
and even the ones that have problems used to work fine, and still do
sometimes (without code changes).
We have not yet seen a pattern in which xsp pages will fail at any given
time. Sometimes a page will work on machine A but not machine B; then
later the reverse will be true!

The problem occurs across multiple Cocoon applications, so it's a pretty
serious issue for us.
We have not yet upgraded our production environment to these versions,
and as far as I know, the production environment has not been affected
by this problem. If we can't resolve the problem, we may have to roll
back to Tomcat 4.1 and Java 1.4.2.

Here is the xsp page whose Java code is excerpted above:

<xsp:page language="java"
    xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
    xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0"
    xmlns:sil="http://www.sil.org/namespace/cocoon-sql-logicsheet">
     <stats-categories>
         <sil:query connection="CLAM" row-element="stats-category">
             SELECT * FROM StatCategories ORDER BY Category
         </sil:query>
     </stats-categories>
</xsp:page>

<sil:query> expands to:

  <esql:connection>
      <esql:pool>CLAM</esql:pool>
      <esql:execute-query>
        <esql:query>SELECT * FROM StatCategories ORDER BY
Category</esql:query>
        <esql:results>
          <esql:row-results>
                <stats-category>
                  <esql:get-columns />
                </stats-category>
          </esql:row-results>
        </esql:results>
      </esql:execute-query>
    </esql:connection>

Thanks for looking at this and for any suggestions you can give.
By the way it doesn't seem to be a memory issue... the Tomcat and Cocoon
status pages say there is still a fair bit of free memory.

Lars