cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ted Garrett <ted.garr...@tedgarrett.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon and linux
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:03:41 GMT
Hi Antonio.

I would say that if you are a happy Fedora Core 4 user, then it really doesn't
matter which linux distribution you use.  Cocoon is dependant upon the Java
Virtual Machine and the Servlet Container you choose.  The underlying
operating system matters little.

I myself use cocoon under SuSE Linux 9.3, Solaris 8/9/10, and Windows 2000
server.  You will find different issues (mostly related to your JVM versions,
path separators, and memory restrictions) on the installs, but most of your
issues will relate more to your chosen deployment methodology than to
anything below cocoon.

SuSE Professional Linux 9.3 comes with tomcat 5.0.30, jboss 3.2.5, and jonas
4.1.2 available for installation from the dvd.  As far as I'm aware (without
wanting to start a flame/religious war) these are the closest to the latest
releases there are in any supported distribution.  Even later than the SLES-9
distribution.  As always, your choice must be governed by the amount of work
you're willing to put in either compiling and installing everything from
scratch or deducing the installation differences of your given distribution.