cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jan Hoskens ...@schaubroeck.be>
Subject Re: Advice on site design - really close
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:43:04 GMT
footh wrote:

>I read about flow before and in fact I intended ot use
>it once I got this supposedly "basic" part of the site
>resolved.
>
>Anyway, I re-read the documentation and I can't seem
>to find out how it would help the situation described
>below.  How can I use flow logic combine 5 pages that
>require dynamic processing into one page?

There are several ways to do this. Take a look at the docs for:
aggregating (sitemap element), cinclude or xinclude (transformers).

I'll give a small example:
- Let each request go through one sitemap matcher
- This matcher has either an aggregate:
    <map:aggregate ... maybe defining a new surrouning parent element
       <map:part.... here your different parts (menu/content/sidebars...)

   or read in a template page and use includes:
    <map:generate src="template.xml"/> (template contains include tags
for each different part)
    <map:transform type="cinclude"/> (this step reads the include tags
and calls the different pipes to include)

- each part for menu/sidebars/... can be processed by separate matchers
in an internal-only pipeline

- each matcher can contain its own flowscript functions if needed(thus
program/call anything you like), or you can produce general information
in your template sitemap matcher (eg by action , own component or again
flowscript, doesn't matter) and set these in your session or context so
it's available within the different parts.

- the template matcher will then contain all the information and you can
style this to any outputtype you want (probably just plain html). Just
remember to leave your html styling and javascript in different files
and include these.

When creating your own generator/components remember to make these
reusable and that there is already a lot of funcionality available.

Kind regards,
Jan