cocoon-users mailing list archives

From footh <fo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Advice on site design - really close
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:15:43 GMT
Thanks for the advice.  I've been delving into the
documentation on Avalon to try to figure out how to
imitate an application-scope object.  This is the last
thing I need to figure out.

I'll give it a shot.  I do have one question though.
Where do you suggest I initially set this variable?
In JSP, you would put the reference to the app object
on whatever pages used it.  Then the JSP engine would
instantiate it if wasn't already created and just
leave it alone if it was.  Is there a similar way to
do this with the ServletContext?

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/api.html#context-N100C1

> [...]
> pick
> > 5 to display everytime the user clicked a new
> page.
> > The advantage of using the application-scope
> variable
> > was I did have to hit the database on every click
> and
> > it was data that every user shared.  The
> disadvantage
> > is, if a new article was added, I would have to
> > restart the Web service to get it added.
> >
> > Anyway, can anyone provide advice as to how I
> might
> > accomplish this in cocoon?
> >
> > --- Jan Hoskens <jh@schaubroeck.be> wrote:

> ot
> > > use
> the
> > > site

> > > seem
> > > described
> pages
> > > that
> > > >

> > > There are several ways to do this. Take a look
> at
> > > the docs for:
> > > aggregating (sitemap element), cinclude or
> xinclude
> > > (transformers).
> > >
> > > I'll give a small example:
> > > - Let each request go through one sitemap
> matcher
> > > - This matcher has either an aggregate:
> > >     <map:aggregate ... maybe defining a new
> > > surrouning parent element
> > >        <map:part.... here your different parts
> > > (menu/content/sidebars...)
> > >
> > >    or read in a template page and use includes:
> > >     <map:generate src="template.xml"/> (template
> > > contains include tags
> > > for each different part)
> > >     <map:transform type="cinclude"/> (this step
> > > reads the include tags
> > > and calls the different pipes to include)
> > >
> > > - each part for menu/sidebars/... can be
> processed
> > > by separate matchers
> > > in an internal-only pipeline
> > >
> > > - each matcher can contain its own flowscript
> > > functions if needed(thus
> > > program/call anything you like), or you can
> produce
> > > general information
> > > in your template sitemap matcher (eg by action ,
> own
> > > component or again
> > > flowscript, doesn't matter) and set these in
> your
> > > session or context so
> > > it's available within the different parts.
> > >
> > > - the template matcher will then contain all the
> > > information and you can
> > > style this to any outputtype you want (probably
> just
> > > plain html). Just
> > > remember to leave your html styling and
> javascript
> > > in different files
> > > and include these.
> > >
> > > When creating your own generator/components
> remember
> > > to make these
> > > reusable and that there is already a lot of

=== message truncated ===