cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Site icon display
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:57:45 GMT
Volkmar

1. Yes, I am wanting to serve up icons to each "directory"
(explained in a reply to another post)

2. I have added the element as you describe (as well as
one that caters for IE syntax).

3.  I have installed the "Live HTTP Headers" - I am not
exactly what I am looking for in the text that emerges.
I see a :
GET /cocoon/mydirectory/favicon.png HTTP/1.1
entry, which assume means the file is being served from
the right place

The icon *does* now show up in FF, but not in IE ...
possibly that is a cache problem?  Without the live headers
functionality, I guess that is hard to trace.

4.  I was not aware of starting "new" threads - as always
I just hit "reply to" when someone posts a response on
this topic... it might be the thread has numerous "sub-
threads", but I am not sure why that is incorrect?

Derek

>>> plsdontreply@arcor.de 2005/06/24 03:33:30 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> OK,; but what is meant by "root of the domain";?
> I need an icon for each project running under
> cocoon on our server....

In case of
  http://foo.bar.tld/hip/hap/hop/anything
the domain is just "foo.bar.tld".
And this is where most(?) browsers are looking for a "favicon.ico".

So you need to serve a file
  http://foo.bar.tld/favicon.ico
and this will be used for the whole domain "foo.bar.tld".

If you want to serve different favicons to individual "diretories", then
you will have to put a
  <link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="whatever" /> link element
into each pages header. Take care for (non-x)html served as "text/html"
not to close this element as in your original posting.

Why don't you simply get "Live HTTP Headers" and check its output of
some requests e.g.
  <http://home.arcor.de/plsdontreply/httpHeadersico.txt>?
This would tell you much more than any explanation.

And please Derek, stay in the threads. Don't start new threads for each
posting to the same thread.

HTH
--
Volkm@r