cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: AW: CForms and Modular Database Actions
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:22:23 GMT
Tom

Ok; that is one viewpoint.  But I think these quotes from the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GettingStartedWithCocoonAndHibernate
are also pertinent:

"Be aware that you will not be ready to write Hibernate-based applications
in 5 minutes. You are about to venture into a complex topic. Sit back, get a
cup of tea and prepare for some **days** of reading and learning.
The following skills are mandatory:
You need to be proficient in Java..."

I did spend a fair chunk of last year downloading and days reading through
the Hibernate documents - they do seem fairly comprehensive and
well-written... but they are not simple or straightforward.  And for
someone like myself, with skills in XML, XSLT, Javascript, SQL... all of
which have been more than sufficient to develop webapps with Cocoon over
the past few - the add-in of high-level Java skills to the mix is a really "gotcha"
that significantly raises the learning barrier here.

So to rephrase my original point - is this the only way to develop interactive
database webapps with Cocoon - or should PHP start looking like an attractive
option once more?!

>>> lutz@aim-ag.com 2005/06/14 10:16:41 AM >>>
>From my personal experience I would not consider moving to Hibernate as very
difficult.

Following the wiki tutorial at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonAndHibernateTutorial it took me a day to
create a search form with result list... and the major part was convincing
jboss to act properly :-).

Regards,
Tom

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----