cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stevens" <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject JSPReader/JSPGenerator on Websphere
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:40:47 GMT
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having running JSPs
through Cocoon on Websphere, although from what I've found in the archives
it seems like there's more problems than solutions so far as Websphere's
concerned :-)

I've built a web application based around Cocoon 2.1.7 and deployed it to
Websphere 5.0 (more accurately, 5.0.2.3 cf30403.04) on Solaris, which sits
behind an iPlanet 6.1 server.  The app starts up okay and I can view the
output from the StatusGenerator without any problem.  In fact, I can view a
whole bunch of pages, made up from assorted XML files, cincludes, XSL, etc.
The only problem I have is that when it tries to cinclude the output from a
JSP (the cinclude has src="cocoon:/..." and I've a pipeline matching that
which uses the JSP generator and serialises to XML) I get absolutely nothing
returned to the browser.  Not even the part of the page prior to the
include.  Unfortunately, I don't get any error messages in any of the log
files either - Websphere's System.out & System.err logs, nor Cocoon's
sitemap/errors/core/handled-errors.log etc., and I'm receiving a 200 OK HTTP
status code - so I've no idea what's going wrong.

I've tried fiddling with various settings, but no luck.  I tried switching
the jsp-engine to use the JSPEngineImplNamedDispatcherInclude but got the
error message "No RequestDispatcher found. Specify a correct 'servlet-name':
*.jsp" that's been mentioned in earlier postings, so put it back to using
the JSPEngineImpl with com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.jsp.servlet.JspServlet as the
servlet-class.  I tried using "/*" in the servlet mapping but just get
"Error 403: Invalid URI passed to Security Collaborator." from every
request, so switched back to using "/".  I tried removing the servlet
mapping for "*.jsp"; that allowed me to call the JSP directly (and see it's
output okay) but as soon as Cocoon tries to do it I get no page returned.  I
tried switching the cinclude to use context:/ instead of cocoon:/ but just
got an error message telling me "the content prior to the root element must
be well formed".  I'm currently using the ParanoidCocoonServlet, but can't
avoid that as otherwise the CocoonServlet attempts to use the older versions
of Xerces & Xalan from Websphere's appserver/lib directory and refuses to
start (I have very little control over the server configuration and am stuck
with the PARENT_FIRST classloader mode for the application as it doesn't
appear to be possible to set that through the XMI files in the war/ear).

The most frustrating thing is that when I deploy to an NT box running the
same versions of Websphere & iPlanet, it works perfectly!  Unfortunately,
our production servers are all Solaris :-(

Any other suggestions or ideas, before I tear the rest of my hair out?

Andrew.