cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: Cforms stability
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:34:30 GMT

On Jun 16, 2005, at 7:25 AM, Jubin Thomas Kuriakose wrote:

> I am a new entrant into cocoons.

cool :-)

>  I was going through the mail listings when i
> came across "Re: CForms - When do they make sense? Design question".
> In the
> documentation it is given that CForms is still under development. So
> is it
> safe to use Cforms for basic development purposes?

Yes, it is safe.  See the samples for the forms block, check out the
docs and ask lots of questions here :-).  Cocoon has the "scratchpad"
for things that are "alpha" quality, but all core functionality and
blocks other than scratchpad should be production-ready.  "Under
development" in this case just means that there are some things that
people want to see done on it.

One tip: you'll see a 'v2' and 'v3' subdirectory in the samples block,
and you may run across discussions of these on the Wiki or the list
archives.  These are experimental flowscript APIs for for the forms
system, and you should probably avoid them.  It's been decided for
future releases that we are going to incorporate some functionality
that was developed in those areas into the standard Form API.  So, you
should stick with the standard API if you want to stay on the future
compatibility track.

I switched to v2 a year or so ago, because I like it better than the
current version of the standard API, but I am going to have to switch
back eventually.  That's not the recommended course for a newbie :-)

Have fun,
—ml—