cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graphs in Cocoon based upon database
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:04:37 GMT
Yves Vindevogel wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> I'm certainly willing to take a look at it. I will eventually chose one
> (forrest, fins, ....)
> I have another possibility outside cocoon, and that is using the R
> language on my postgres database.
>
> For now, I would like to go with Cocoon, if it is fast enough, because I
> can re-use my existing xml descriptions of the pages (the graphs are the
> same as the pages, but graphical)

Forrest may help here too since it is a Cocoon based application (see
below).

> Can you provide me with a link so I can see what Forrest is capable of ?

Sorry, that was quite an omission on my part, I should have been much
clearer.

Apache Forrest is a publishing framework that transforms input from
various sources into a unified presentation in one or more output
formats. The modular and extensible plugin architecture is based on
Apache Cocoon and relevant standards, which separates presentation from
content. Forrest can generate static documents, or be used as a dynamic
server, or be deployed by its automated facility.

The plugin I referred to integrates JCharts into Forrest. Since Forrest
is Cocoon based it is very easy for you to adapt the plugin to work in
your own Cocoon app.

For general info on Forrest see http://forrest.apache.org
ViewSVN for the JCharts plugin is at
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Chart/

I'm just deploying the plugin now, this will mean the docs (with some
samples) will be available in when the next website update happens
(around 2 hours). When the update has happened you can see basic docs
and samples at
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugin_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Chart

As I said, I can help you integrate this into a different Cocoon based
app if Forrest doesn't provide what you need (incidentally, Forrest also
has a database plugin which will help with getting your data from your
DB, this is essentially the Cocoon database block).

Ross