cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: cocoon in jboss
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:57:40 GMT
Thomas Lutz wrote:

> That depends on the jBoss version you want to use.
>
> I am currently using the 3.2.7 and all I had to do is to place some
> libs in the endorsed directory.
>
> So, step for step it would be:
>
> o) place commons-collection*.jar (commons-collections-3.1.jar in my
> env)  from cocoon/lib in jboss/server/default/lib/endorsed (as you see
> I use the default server configuration)
> o) same with jakarta-bcel (jakarta-bcel-20040329.jar in my env)
> o) check wether set JAVA_OPTS in jboss/bin/run.bat (or sh) contains
> something like
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=.......jboss/server/default/lib/endorsed
> o) deploy your webapp into .../jboss/server/default/deploy, there are
> two ways
> oo) as war file
> oo) as exploded directory (this is what I would recommend). just copy
> your web-app directory to the deploy directory. Doing it this way you
> will be able to edit xml, xsl,.. without restarting the application.
> Whenever you touch the deployment descriptor (the web.xml) your app
> will be undeployed and redeployed.
> o) buy memory :-)

And be sure to add the ".ear" at the ent of the directory name since
Jboss "eats" a lot of Jar-types ".jar", ".sar", ".ear", ".war" the
deployer uses the filename-ending to decide where to deploy. If you
leave it away your appp should only be available as utitly Jar for other
J2EE applicatios.

> Depending on how big your webapp is, you will have to restart jboss
> every X redeploys (5 times for me) as jBoss, at least my 3.2.7 doesn't
> behave well with garbage collection while redeploying, so your server
> will run out of memory. annoying...

Had similar problems, but since I switched to JRockit as VM these
problems were gone since JRockes garbage collection is way better than
that of the sun VMs (my Oppinion after several years of J2EE
benchmarking) and JRockit realy rocks when using the Cocoon SVG2PNG/JPEG
and PDF stuff.

> I tried with jBoss 4 once, no endorsed problems yet, but I could not
> test my whole app, as my db layer does not work on jboss 4 yet.

I didn`t have to do any endorsed stuff with JBoss 4.x.