cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Askild Aaberg Olsen <ask...@xangeli.com>
Subject Re: AW: CForms and Modular Database Actions
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:24:07 GMT
WHIRLYCOTT wrote:

> Askild Aaberg Olsen wrote:
>
>> I'll see if I can make a demo of this concept tonight. A "stock"
>> Cocoon-installation comes with a working database, so it should be
>> easy to install and not too much work.
>>
>> I don't mean that using Cocoon as a Java-framework is wrong, I just
>> want to address that solving this issue can be much simpler than
>> utilizing Hibernate etc, which seems to be the only answer users who
>> need to "do stuff" with XML gets. :-)
>

> What you're arguing is that tightly coupling your data access code to
> Cocoon is a good idea.  And I can't think of a single circumstance
> where that could make sense.  In fact, I can't think of a case where
> it makes sense to tightly couple your data access to any framework.
>
> Consider how you will reuse that code outside of Cocoon.  Say you want
> to use some other framework at the same time.  Say you want to write
> some utilities to run inside another jvm to run scheduled jobs.
>
> Furthermore, the capabilities for transactions exposed to you are
> minimal at best.  Modular db actions - with all due respect for the
> people who wrote it - are a completely inadequate solution when
> compared to things like Hibernate and OJB.  They get you 20% of the
> way there and then you're screwed the rest of the time.
>
> phil.

Why is tightly coupling my data access code to Hibernate so much better
then, isn't this yet another framework (like EJBs)?
What if I don't have the need to reuse this code?
What if I'm just a newbie trying to get some data into my webapp?

I never argued Hibernate/OJB wrong or bad practive, I just outlined an
alternative method to get a simple db-driven app up and running using a
stock Cocoon, without the need to write a single line of Java-code (not
using modular db actions, by the way...).

Maybe I will use Hibernate in the future. I have considered it more than
once the last couple of months, but whenever I start with it, I don't
see *my* value from this. I guess there are more like me out there, and
this was *one* way to solve the issue.

Askild