cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Messing, Elad" <elad.mess...@eml-d.villa-bosch.de>
Subject AW: Smart Logging of application running above Cocoon
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:58:41 GMT
Hello Again
	I have found this :
	http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/performancetips.html
	where it says :
	"
	Logging kills performance. Consider disabling logging entirely from Cocoon (leave only the
ERROR channel) and let Apache or the servlet container log accesses and stuff.
	".

	What do you think ? Should I just relay on apache, or there might be another low-performance
way Cocoon enables you to write some lines to a log file ? (LogTransformer / Cocoon JavaLogging
etc)

	Thanks

Elad

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Messing, Elad
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Juni 2005 14:57
An: users@cocoon.apache.org
Betreff: Smart Logging of application running above Cocoon

Hello All
	I have a web application built on top of Cocoon, and would like to introduce Logging for
the sake of statistics.
	This means logging the users behavior for better understanding of their needs, and also as
a commercial benefit.

	I thought of some different solutions for this "Smart Logging"
need :
	1. Using Apache logs to log the URL's and than analyze them.
Good for Performance, might be not so good for logging of chosen languages (with Cocoon locale)
etc.
	2. Build a special "Logging" Action, to be implemented in all the places I wish to log, which
will get some parameters from the sitemap (i.e. locale ) and will write to a file. Not sure
what implications this will have on performance.
	3. Using the Cocoon logging in some why I cannot really tell.
	4. others ?

	So my question is - Maybe some of you have any ideas, can direct in in the right way, or
have already done this and can share from their knowledge ?

	Thank you in advance !

Elad Messing
Software Developer
European Media Laboratory GmbH