cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Messing, Elad" <elad.mess...@eml-d.villa-bosch.de>
Subject AW: Re: CFORMS - Performing a Form level validation
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:47:41 GMT
Hello again all !

	With the help of Sylvain and Thorsten I have managed to come up with the form.
	Now - when all data is valid, all works fine.
	The problem starts when the data is not valid.

	I have 3 widgets in my form - text field and a select list. (See definition below)
	On the text field there is a validation of length, and on the select list there is no validation,
but the first "item" of it is a null record - to show an empty slot.
	On the "form" there is a validation so that either of the 2 fields must contain value. (See
definition below)

	When I first show the form all is fine.

	When I enter a too-short string in the text field, I get a strange behavior: I can see the
error message stating it is too short, but I can also see the error message stating that either
of the fields should be entered (coming from the "form level" validation function) - like
nothing was entered in the text field. I added a "print" line into the form validation, to
see that even though I have entered a value in the text field (it was too short - but it was
there) the widget value is actually null. (see the "print" in the flow below).

	Also - I would expect the validation to stop after it was failing on the "too-short" text
field widget validation. Why has it continued to the "Form level" validation at all ?

	Another strange behavior was, that after I submitted the form with valid data, I could see
the results. When I pressed "Back" button of the browser - I got back to the form page, with
all the error messages still showing. The fields are showing the valid data which I put in,
but the errors from the first trail are still there. Why is that ?

	And the third issue - When I am not using the "Back" button, but instead using the original
"link" to the form page, I get other results - I can see the form in the state it was after
I entered a "too-short" string in the text field !! This is after I have already changed the
data to valid, submitted, got my results, and return to the form page using its link 1 minute
after.. I even get the results opening a new browser window, in a different process. Only
"restart" to the web server removes it.
	Is this the normal behavior ? Should I reset the form in some manner ?

	I am attaching down the needed text from the flow and form description - maybe it can help
you understand my problems.

	Thank you very much for reading my long post :)

Elad

**************
<fd:form
  xmlns:fd="http://apache.org/cocoon/forms/1.0#definition">

  <fd:validation>
	<fd:javascript>
		validateRestaurantForm(widget);
	</fd:javascript>
  </fd:validation>

  <fd:widgets>
	<fd:messages id="errors">
		<fd:datatype base="string"/>
  	</fd:messages>
    <fd:field id="name">
      <fd:label>Name</fd:label>
      <fd:hint>Hint Hint</fd:hint>
      <fd:datatype base="string"/>
      <fd:validation>
        <fd:length min="2">
	        <fd:failmessage>You should add name</fd:failmessage>
	    </fd:length>
      </fd:validation>
    </fd:field>

    <fd:field id="type">
      <fd:label>Type</fd:label>
      <fd:datatype base="integer"/>
      <fd:selection-list type="flow-jxpath" list-path="restTypeList" value-path="id" label-path="name"/>
	</fd:field>
  </fd:widgets>

</fd:form>
**************

function validateRestaurantForm (form){
	print ("Start validateRestaurantForm");
	var success = true;
	var nameWidget = form.lookupWidget("name");
	var typeWidget = form.lookupWidget("type");
	var errorsWidget = form.lookupWidget("errors");

  	print ("Name: " + nameWidget.value + " Type: " + typeWidget.value);
  	if (typeWidget.value == null && nameWidget.value == null ) {
		errorsWidget.addMessage("You must either select a name or type");
		print ("set the errors and return false");
      	success = false;
	}
	return success;
}