cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Wojciech Biela <ilf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q: testing (hopefully test-driving development) with Cocoon
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 09:23:18 GMT
> Yes, javascript-based flow is the recommended way, javaflow is stil
> "officially" considered experimental (but AFAIK very usable and stable
> already).

huh, alright, anyone cares to post some pros & cons of those two flow
languages (javascript flow vs javaflow)?

> For unit testing flowscript, I'd use an HTTP-based method, which allows
> you to test the full request processing chain "in situ".

the problem in that is that it's not real unit testing, unit testing
should be done *in isolation*, this HTTP based testing is closer to
integration testing or functional testing, that is also cool but it
doesn't give the scope useful for test-driven development.

> You're right that unit testing flowscript directly could be useful, but
> I don't think we have examples of doing it in Cocoon currently. If
> you'd like to try and create something for this, there are several
> examples of JUnit testing of Cocoon components in the codebase, which
> should be a good base to start from.

I'll research that possibility

> To test my custom Cocoon components in their environment, I've been
> using a custom JUnitGenerator, which executes JUnit tests in the same
> environment than my production components (database configs etc) and
> outputs the results in XML. I forgot to mention this when we talked
> last week after your comment on my weblog.

I suppose that this approach lacks isolation as well, anyway I'll be
happy to take a look at it if you could publish the code somewhere

> It's fairly rough and probably not general, but if you'd like to
> improve it I could post the code on the wiki as an example. I don't
> think it would help much about flowscript testing but it could give you
> some ideas.

I'll could give it a try

-- Wojtek Biela